Saturday 28th January 2017: Balzan looked home and dry after obtaining a two goal lead in the first half but in the second half Balzan became complacent and Tarxien took the opportunity to put everything in front and in fact managed to score two goals in a span of 5 minutes, with Balzan ending up losing two important points.

In the early stages of the match Tarxien were the best team and 15th minute they had a good chance. Daniel Ponce De Leon Garcia served Alex Nilsson who went made a good run on the left flank before firing a powerful shot that forced Ivan Janjusevic to make a good save.

In the 31nd minute Balzan took the lead. Bojan Kaljevic connected a long ball by Bruno Gilio de Oliveira and served ABDELKARIM NAFTI who made his way inside the box and finished home past goalkeeper Philip Schranz with a delicate chip.

Balzan increased the score in the 44th minute. Dylan Grima sent a good pass to unmarked PAUL FENECH on the right side and the latter advanced inside the area before hitting a low shot which ended at the back of the net.

In the second half with two goals in hand, Balzan became complacent controlling the proceedings without exerting themselves too much, while Tarxien put their effort together to get something from this match.

In the 57th minute, Abdelkarim Nafti sent a cross shot from a corner-kick that was neutralised by goalkeeper Philip Schranz.

On 63 minutes, a direct free-kick by Ryan Fenech was punched Philip Schranz.

Few minutes later a Ryan Fenech’s menacing cross from the right soared dangerously towards the box but Bojan Kaljevic’s header from point-blank range, finished wide.

In the 72nd minute, Bruno Giglio De Oliveira had a good opportunity to score increase the score for Balzan. Paul Fenech delivered the ball inside the penalty area in the direction of the Brazilian whose header went slightly over.

For these missed chances Balzan suffered dearly as in the 76th minute Tarxien replied with a goal. Served JULIAN GALEA connected a cross by Alex Da Paixao Alves inside the penalty area and hit a strong shot that gave Ivan Janjusevic no chance.

Five minutes later, Tarxien struck again to stun the leaders. This time ALEX NILSSON caught keeper Janjusevic slightly out of place and lobbed the ball that hit the underside of the bar before going in.

In the additional time given by the referee, Balzan were close to score a later winner.  Terence Agius hit a strong shot from the edge of the penalty area that took a deflection of a defender and ended slightly over.