Saturday 22nd October 2016 – Balzan remained Premier League leaders after defeating Hamrun Spartans 3 – 1, three points ahead of second placed Birkirkara.

Highlights of this weekend's hard fought 3-1 victory over Hamrun – with all the other leading teams winning tooa win which keeps Balzan's distance from all the other leading teams intact ………….Balzan #iml #bet90 #joma #powerade #match #highlights

Posted by Balzan F.C. on Sunday, October 23, 2016

Balzan had to do without injured defenders Elkin Serrano, Justin Grioli and Clive Brincat and midfielder Anderson Francis De Barros, while Matteo Piciollo and Abdelkarim Nafti started on the bench, making their appearances as substitutes. Back in their starting line-up they had Samir Arab, Alan Da Silva Souza, Lydon Micallef and Dylan Grima. On the other hand Hamrun were without injured goalkeeper David Cassar, suspended Jorge Pereira, Haruna Zambuk Garba was missing as he left them to play abroad, while Luke Grech, Massimiliano Giusti and Christian Maldini was left on the reserves bench. Matthew Farrugia, Patrick Jean Teixeira Maia, Mark Anthony Borg, Luke Sciberras Jean Pierre Mifsud Triganza and Sergio Raphael Dos Anjos were utilized instead of them.

Balzan were simply the best team during the first half, but in the second half Hamrun fought back bravely, though with great difficulty, to get back in the match but they could not penetrate the Balzan rearguard as Janjusevic seemed unbeatable.

Balzan made their intentions known as from the kick-off and in fact during their first attack they took the lead after only 53 seconds. It was ALAN DA SILVA SOUZA who dribbled past a defender and beat goalkeeper Matthew Farrugia with a fine grounder from an acute angled position in the area.

A minute later the same player, after exchanging the ball with Lydon Micallef, saw his effort hitting the upright and from the rebound he finished the ball just wide, even though the referee whistled for an offside.

In the 18th minute, Alfred Effiong was served by Bojan Kaljevic, advanced unhindered in the box but his effort was blocked in time by the onrushing goalkeeper Farrugia.

Hamrun started pushing forward in a bid to get back in the game. In the 23rd minute Jake Galea’s effort was blocked by Dylan Grima and from the rebound he concluded wide off the far post.

Despite their effort Hamrun conceded the second goal in the 26th minute when Alan Da Silva Sousa sent a long pass finding BOJAN KALJEVIC unmarked outside the box before he finished the ball home low past Farrugia.

Hamrun reacted and four minutes from half time they were awarded for their efforts. Following a corner taken by Leonardo Wallace Motta Dos Santos, PATRICK TEIXEIRA MAIA headed the ball hitting the post and after Ivan Janjusevic failed to clear the ball causing a goalmouth melee, he finished the ball at the back of the net.

In the second half Hamrun gained confidence, threatening to equalize. In the 52nd minute, Jean Pierre Mifsud Triganza made his way into the box but his effort was blocked by Janjusevic.

On the hour, Janjusevic was tested again by Leandro Wallace Motta Dos Santos but he turned his effort, from a distance, into a corner with style.

Hamrun paid dearly for these efforts lost as. In the 63rd minute they suffered a third goal. Following a cross by Paul Fenech which was partially saved by goalkeeper Farrugia, unmarked ALFRED EFFIONG had no difficulty in placing the ball at the back of the net, from inside the area.

On the 70th minute, substitute Abdelkarim Nafti missed the target by inches, after receiving a good pass by Alan Da Silva Souza.

Balzan administered the game till the end, with Hamrun failing to threaten.