In a drab encounter with little goal-mouth action, especially during the first half, Hibernians managed to break the deadlock midway through the second half and when Balzan looked as though they had rescued a point, as Steve Bezzina levelled matters in the 90th minute, two minutes later Ayrton Attard notched the winner for Hibs to leave the Balzan players upset and helpless.

For this match, Balzan had their coach Mark Miller serving a one-match ban while two pillars of the team Paul Fenech and Uros Ljubomirac were missing due to suspension. Hibernians, on the other hand, had their captain Bjorn Kristensen missing also serving a suspension.

This result leaves Balzan in very troubled waters as they are now fully involved in the relegation struggle which is going to be a very tight contest in the second part of the season.



The first chance at goal came to Hibernians in the 13th minute when Jose Wilkson Teixeira sent Jurgen Degabriele through and the latter’s shot from the left ended just over the bar.

In the 29th minute, following a free-kick taken by Jurgen Degabriele, a header by Leandro Almeida was parried by goalkeeper Vukasin Vranes.

On the half-hour, a powerful shot by Shola Shodiya from outside the area finished just wide.

In the second half Hibernians came out more determined with Balzan too much on the defensive.

In the 51st minute, Jurgen Degabriele served Gabi Izquier Artiles whose low shot finished just wide.

In the 71st minute, Hibernians finally broke the deadlock when Jake Grech served DUNDSTAN VELLA inside the area who in turn controlled before hitting low past goalkeeper Vukasin Vranes.

Three minutes later, Hibernians were unlucky not to double the score as a direct freekick taken by Andrei Agius hit the crossbar.

In the 76th minute, following a cross from the right by Aryton Attard, Jurgen Degabriele also went close with a fine shot from outside the area.

Nine minutes later, goalkeeper Vukasin Vranes was there to turn into a corner an effort by Jake Grech and, from the resulting corner, an angled shot by Jurgen Degabriele ended just wide.

Although Balzan threw everything in attack goalkeeper Calleja Cremona was never really tested.

However, in the first minute into the added time, Balzan managed to level matters with their first real attempt on target. Steve Pisani delivered a cross from a corner and STEVEN BEZZINA headed home past goalkeeper Calleja Cremona.

But it was not over yet as four minutes into added time, following a short corner, a cross sent by Gabriel Izquier Artiles created havoc inside the area, and substitute AYRTON ATTARD finished home from close range.

HIBERNIANS : Matthew Calleja Cremona, Ferdinando Apap, Leandro Almeida, Jake Grech, Jurgen Degabriele, Dunstan Vella, Gabriel Izquier Artiles, Haruna Shola Shodiya (Ayrton Attard 66’), Andrei Agius, Jose Wilkson Teixeira, Karolin Laukzemis (Rundell Winchester 81’).

BALZAN :Vukasin Vranes, Augustine Loof, Marcus Grima (Eric McWoods 68’), Samir Arab, Steve Pisani, Alfred Effiong, Gary Camilleri (Steve Bezzina 55’), Stefan Dimic, Pedro Mota (Adam Bradshaw 82’), Sean Cipriott (William Donkin 82’), Moussa Kamara.

Referee: Stefan Pace

BOV Player of the Match: Jurgen Degabriele