18/05/20 – In the context of the latest developments regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, the Executive Committee of the MFA met via video-conference held today and decided to terminate the 2019/2020 Premier League and the FA Trophy.
In arriving to this decision, the Malta FA Executive Committee has taken into consideration the following key factors:
• the restrictions imposed by law (Legal Notice 101 of 2020 of the Public Health Act);
• the health, well-being and safety of all those involved in football and the wider community;
• the positions of the 14 Premier League clubs;
• the positions of the other stakeholders (players, match officials and coaches);
• thorough evaluation of the strengths and weaknesses of the medical protocol;
• the general precarious financial situation of the clubs due to the COVID-19 impact;
• matters imposed by UEFA (deadlines, sporting merit principles).
Furthermore, as yet the Association has no reassurance from the health authorities as to when and if competitive team sport activities can resume.
Based on the facts and evidence available, the 14 members of the Executive Committee, which is composed of representatives of clubs in all divisions and member associations, were unanimous in their decision