Saturday 21st January 2017: Balzan returned to winning ways as a goal mid-way through the first half by Bruno Giglio enabled them to beat St. Andrews 1 – 0. A win which made sure they stay on top the BOV Premier League.

Balzan made five changes from their last game against Birkirkara where Ivan Janjusevic, Ryan Fenech, Abdelkarim Nafti, Clive Brincat and Alan da Silva Souza were replaced with Christian Cassar, Anderson De Barros, Lydon Micallef, Dylan Grima and Alfred Effiong. On the other hand, St. Andrews replaced Ante Bakmaz and Ivan Paz with Godwin McKay and Bong Won Che.

Feeling the strain from mid-week Trophy game against Valletta, Balzan although being the dominant team, were confused in their play and offered only flashes of the fluency they have shown lately.

In the early stages of the match St. Andrews controlled Balzan quite well and created a the first chance on the 9th minute. Kyrian Nwonko won possession at the heart of Balzan’s defence and served Dale Camilleri inside the penalty area. The latter had a good chance to finish but mistimed his shot. Possession fell into Ziga Kastrevec’ path but he was in an offside position and the chance was lost.

On the 19th minute, Matteo Piciollo dribbled his way into the penalty area and sent a cross shot that was easily neutralised by Jake Galea

In the 24th minute, Balzan took the lead when they won a free-kick outside the area for a foul on Matteo Piccolo by Karlo Kesonovic. The free kick was taken by BRUNO GILIO DE OLIVEIRA who fired a stunning direct shot at the top corner giving no chance to goalkeeper Jake Galea.
Three minutes later, Balzan had another chance on goal. Piciollo hit a low shot but Jake Galea saved well.

In the additional time given by the referee prior to half time, Bojan Kaljevic passed the ball towards Paul Fenech whose effort from distance finished high.

In the second half, St Andrews came out searching for the equalizer while Balzan opted to defend their

On the 50th minute Godwin McKay tested goalkeeper Christian Cassar for the first time but his shot neutralized with a good save.

On the 57th minute, Bong Won Che of St. Andrews tried his luck from a distance, but his shot finished high over the crossbar.

On the 64th minute, Emny Pena Beltre delivered a good ball from the right to Ziga Kastrevec but he headed against the side-netting.

In the 66th minute Balzan replaced Matteo Piciollo and Lydon Micallef and Terence Agius and Alan Da Silva Souza for better creativity.

Two minutes later Alan da Silva Souza sent the ball flying into Bojan Kaljevic path, whoes shot was well saved by goalkeeper Jake Grech.

In the addition time given by the referee, Alan da Silva Souza passed the ball towards substitute Sean Cipriott and the latter’s shot was saved by Galea.

A minute later, Jake Galea was on the alert again to neutralise a shot from Alfred Effiong.